Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions

In this section you will be able to find quick answers to the most common inquiries students have about issues related to academic standing, courses, midterms and final examinations.

Course and program-related questions

  • What courses does the Faculty of Science offer?

    All Ontario Tech University courses with a code designation of BIOL, CHEM, CSCI, ENVS, FSCI, MATH, PHY, SCIE or STAT are run through the Faculty of Science.

  • Where do I find information regarding my program map and course descriptions?

    Please refer to the program maps and undergraduate course descriptions of the Academic Calendar to find information pertaining to program maps and course descriptions, respectively.

    If you have questions regarding course selection or your progression through your program, contact the Academic Advising office for an appointment.

  • How do I register for a course?

    Normally, all course registration is completed through MyCampus. Please contact the Academic Advising office if you receive a restriction notice when trying to register for courses.

  • I am having difficulty registering for a course. What do I do?

    Ensure you are registering simultaneously in all necessary components of a course (lecture, laboratory and tutorial, if applicable). Attempting to register for sections that are full or are in conflict with other registered courses in your schedule will prevent successful registration. If you are unable to register, check MyCampus frequently for registration number fluctuations. If you haven’t been able to register successfully by the week prior to the start of the academic term, come to the Academic Advising office for assistance.

  • Can final laboratory grades be carried forward?

    Students repeating a first-year course that has a laboratory component, or CHEM 2020U - Introduction to Organic Chemistry and CHEM 2120U - Organic Chemistry, may apply for a Laboratory Carry Forward.

    Laboratory Carry Forward requests must be submitted to the Faculty of Science Academic Advising office no later than two weeks after the start of the course for the Fall and Winter terms, and five working days for the Spring/Summer term. For an application to be considered, all laboratory work must have been completed and a passing grade obtained (50 per cent for first-year courses; 65 per cent for Organic Chemistry courses). Laboratory marks can only be carried forward once. Laboratory grades will be held for no longer than one year from the original offering of this course, and must be carried forward to the next offering of the course. If you are repeating the course more than one year after the original offering, you do not have the option of requesting a Laboratory Carry Forward. The application for a Lab Carry Forward can be found on the Faculty of Science forms page.

Coursework, midterm and final exam-related questions